Thursday, December 18, 2008

Be Careful what you wish for :)

I had been wishing for some some - maybe just a light dusting over a few hours - Wow, did I get my wish and then some. We live in the Southern California High Desert and the chances of snow are very rare, in 5 years its snowed once!

I had been sleeping very lightly, like a kid at Christmas DH says....waiting and listening for some sign of snow.....yesterday I woke up a bit later than usual around 7 and I peeked out the window and it was just starting. I woke up dh and said its snowing, its snowing....he could have cared less...at this point I was grabbing my slippers and a sweatshirt and 2 cameras in hand and heading outside. The snow was not sticking - yet! Long story short....it started sticking on everything including the cement around 1:00 in the afternoon and then we got the full force of the storm - Wow, it snowed and blowed and snowed till almost 7pm. We got about 7-9" of beautiful fluffy snow....It was awesome, but I knew it was going to be a big job to clean up after it. To make matters worse we lost our Sattelite dish and tv for most of the day, after many brushings we finally got the hose out after the snow stopped and it started working once again...didnt want to miss our evening shows!



We have a patio cover and of course our Christmas decorations, Santa and his elves in a boat and 2 christmas trees up there...well, we ended with about 8" of snow on top of that and it has been dripping and melting all day. We shoveled all the snow off the boat cover, dock, catwalks and then the patio.....whew, I burned off alot of calories today shoveling snow and throwing it into the lake!

Late this afternoon we tried to start the front yard - well, the snow has been slipping off the 1st and 2nd stories all day and we have a 3-4' berm all around the house - including the garage and front courtyard.....Its still falling off the roof! We shoveled off the berm to about 2' and laid it out so it would melt better as it was in the shade.....tomorrow it will be another day to shovel more and unbury our blow up Santa and snowmen, hope they still work.


I have taken over 200 pictures - I know a little overkill. I will remember this day always and dh wont let me forget my wish !


Here are a few pics of the Desert in a very rare and Unusual Snow Storm.




After the storm it was just so beautiful.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Beautiful pics!! Robbi you sound so much like me when we had our first snow here in Mar. '08! I was out playing in the snow with Lillie and our dog, Bandit. I think my older neighbor, thought I was nutz!! But we had so much fun, laughing and playing. :) I wish we'd get some!! Although, we just might this Sat night/Sunday!! It's going to get down in the teens and the high is 22!! YIKES!!! Thank god I finally made it down the hill in the backyard to load firewood in the trunk of the car to pile in the garage. I'll load more tomorrow afternoon and then see what happens. LOL. Thanks for sharing the pics. Stay Warm.
Hugs,
Jennifer

xashee's corner said...

oh boy did we get snow!! lol we got about a foot here to deal with! John & our son haven't been to work since!! They even said some of the highways were shut down!! lol crazy, snow in the desert!! lol so now i find out you ordered this!!?!! LOL HUGS!! have a safe and BEAUTIFUL holiday season, my friend!! Hugs to you and Mike from us!!! :D

Anonymous said...

My daughter lives in Victorville and her kids are having a ball in all this snow!! It sure is the first time they have seen so much at their house!